2/3 cup vinegar (any type)
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
2 to 4 teaspoons sugar
1 to 2 Tablespoons seasonings (see Notes)
1 1/2 cups cucumber slices
- In a small saucepan, heat the vinegar, water, salt and sugar until the mixture simmers. Stir until the salt and sugar are dissolved and remove from heat.
- Place the seasonings in the bottom of a clean pint-sized glass jar. Add the cucumber slices, packing them closely together. Leave about 1/2 inch space at the top of the jar.
- Fill the jar with the warm vinegar mixture to cover the cucumbers. Close the jar with a clean lid and refrigerate for 1 to 3 days to allow flavors to develop.
- Store pickles in the refrigerator. Use within 3 months.
- Ideas for fresh seasonings: basil, cilantro, dill, garlic, ginger, hot pepper, onion, oregano, thyme.
- Ideas for dry seasonings: bay leaf, celery, cumin or dill seed, dried chili, peppercorn, pickling spice, tumeric
- Try this: 1 clove garlic, 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon dill seed.
Thanks for this simple refrigerator pickle recipe! I loved experimenting when there were lots of cucumbers coming from our garden. I have tried this with different herbs and spices.