Enjoy with pupusas, tacos, quesadillas or grilled fish.
4 cups water
½ green cabbage, shredded (about 6 cups)
1 medium carrot, shredded or sliced thin (about ½ cup)
¼ medium red onion, sliced thin (about ½ cup)
1 jalapeño pepper or other hot pepper, minced (optional)
½ cup vinegar (try apple cider or distilled white)
½ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon salt
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Bring water to a boil on high heat.
- Put cabbage in a colander over the sink. Slowly pour boiling water over the cabbage. Rinse the cabbage with cold water and drain well.
- In a large bowl, stir together cabbage and remaining ingredients.
- Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Enjoy as a topping for pupusas, tacos, quesadillas or grilled fish.
- No fresh hot pepper? Use ½ to 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes.
Thanks to the OSU Extension Latinx Work Group for this recipe.