This recipe was a lasting favorite with middle school students. One 8th grader said, "That was the best mushroom dish ever!" We were learning about herbs and I added a 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme to this recipe - thyme and lemon are great flavor boosters for mushrooms!!
Mushroom Bulgur Pilaf
- Use a medium saucepan or skillet with a tightly fitting lid. Over medium heat, sauté onions in oil in the open pan until they are softened.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until beginning to brown, stirring frequently.
- Stir in bulgur and continue to stir until lightly browned.
- Add water, bouillon, garlic powder, and pepper. Cover pan with lid.
- Reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until bulgur is tender and liquids are absorbed.
- Remove from heat. Mix in the spinach and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
This looked like a good side dish, and it was. My husband really liked it and he's usually not a fan of cooked spinach. The flavor and texture were really good. It will be served again at our house.