1 cup oats (quick-cooking or old fashioned rolled)
¼ cup nonfat or low-fat milk
⅓ cup vegetable oil
1 cup mashed ripe banana
1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease the bottoms and sides of 12 muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, milk, eggs, oil, sugar and mashed banana. Let this mixture stand for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add oat mixture to dry ingredients and stir gently to mix until just moistened.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out moist but clean, about 18 to 20 minutes.
To bake as Banana Oatmeal Bread, use an 8 or 9-inch bread pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes.
This recipe was a HUGE hit at our local library where they were served during Pre-K story time! I made mini muffins and did substitute water for the milk. Most toddlers came back for seconds, and the most darling 1 year old kept asking for more after two. Many of my printed recipes were taken by caregivers who stated this was a snack they would make at home since their child enjoyed it so much! 10/10
Here are some of our favorite Banana Oatmeal Muffin comments from 5th-grade students in Josephine county, Oregon:
The Food Hero Team
We have made these a few times....girls really like them as muffins or bread, best part is they are healthy, few ingredients I always have on hand, and so quick to cook!