I really liked this recipe, as did the other people I had to dinner. We put corn tortilla strips on top, and a sprinkle of chedder cheese for flavor. It was really good! I also added chili powder, cumin, and a sprinkle or two of salt - but I used homemade salt free broth. It was fine as it was, but we wanted a little more flavor - thus the extra seasoning.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Try adding cilantro on top for more flavor.
- Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, and reduce heat to low.
- Add beans and broth. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.