1 cup low-sodium broth (any type; see Notes)
1 package (1.25 ounce) taco seasoning or 1/4 teaspoon each chili powder, garlic powder, ground cumin and oregano
1 cup instant brown rice
⅓ cup salsa
½ cup corn (frozen or canned, drained and rinsed)
½ cup black beans (cooked or canned, drained and rinsed)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Bring the vegetable broth and seasonings to boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the rice, salsa, corn and beans. Turn heat to low, cover saucepan and let cook without stirring for 10 minutes.
- Gently stir before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Broth can be made at home, purchased in a can or box, or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth, use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Substitute 1 1/3 cups of Farmers Market Salsa for the last three ingredients.
- Try adding cilantro on top for more flavor.
This recipe is a great recipe by itself, as a side, or wrapped up in a burritio! But it did need a little tweaking since we used bouillon cubes. One cube per 1 cup of water was just too strong of a flavor. Made this a few times to fix this, we doubled and tripled the rice and both worked well. Doubling the spices doesn't hurt it either :)