I made these with blueberries (cherries were out of my budget) They turned out great, and the kids that tasted them loved them! They did come out a little "blue" but we made up funny stories about why they could possibly be blue, which did not effect the kids desire to eat them...in fact, they got a kick out of the color.
1 cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup all-purpose flour
⅓ cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup dried cherries, or chopped fresh, canned or frozen and thawed cherries. Drain canned or frozen cherries well.
¼ cup margarine or butter, melted
⅔ cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Mix well.
- Add the cherries and mix lightly.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted margarine or butter, buttermilk and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and mix gently.
- Spoon the dough into 10 equal mounds on a greased baking sheet. Bake until well browned, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 or 3 days.