Submitted by walscaro on Sat, 12/12/2020 - 07:23
A simple recipe for a classic creamy, cheesy, and comforting mac and cheese.
2 cups water
1 ½ cups uncooked macaroni
1 teaspoon margarine or butter
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon dry mustard (or 1 teaspoon prepared mustard)
1 ¼ cups nonfat or 1% milk
1 ¼ cups (5 ounces) grated cheddar cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a 10-inch skillet or saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Add the macaroni and margarine or butter. Stir a few times to prevent sticking.
- Cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes (do not drain the water).
- Meanwhile, mix flour, salt and dry mustard in a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the milk and stir until smooth. Add remaining milk. Set aside.
- Take the lid off the skillet and cook macaroni until most of the water is gone.
- Stir and add milk mixture and cheese. Mix well. Cook and stir until all the cheese melts and the sauce is bubbly and thick.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Add your favorite fresh or frozen vegetables in step 2. Try broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, celery, spinach, tomatoes or zucchini.
- Add your favorite seasonings in step 4. Try oregano, garlic powder, chili powder or others.
- Use a combination of cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
- Try whole wheat macaroni or pasta in different shapes.