Oats are a good source of fiber which is great for heart health.
Shop and Save
- Compare package sizes for the lowest cost per ounce.
- Bulk oats may cost less than packaged oats.
- Oats should smell faintly sweet or have no smell. Avoid oats that have an unpleasant or musty smell.
Store Well Waste Less
- Store oats in tightly covered containers to keep out moisture and insects.
- Keep in a cool, dark, dry cupboard. Quality is best when used in 3 to 6 months.
- To store for up to a year, package well and keep in the refrigerator or freezer.
Types of Oats
Whole oats are steamed and rolled into flakes.
- thick flakes
- has the most texture
- cooks in 5 minutes
- steamed longer and rolled thinner
- softer texture
- cooks in 1 minute
- cooked completely, dried, rolled into very thin small flakes
- texture is very soft
- just stir in hot water to prepare
Each whole oat is cut into pieces with steel blades.
Steel Cut or Irish oats
- cooks in 20 to 30 minutes
- has a chewy texture
Quick Cooking Steel Cut Oats
- pieces are smaller
- cooks in 5 to 7 minutes
- texture is softer
- pieces are very small
- creamy porridge texture
The outer coating of the oat grain; very high in fiber.
A finely ground, whole-grain flour that can be used in baking and thickening; naturally gluten free if processed separately from wheat.
Cooking with Oats
When kids help make healthy food, they are more likely to try it. Show kids how to:
- wash veggies under cool running water.
- measure liquid ingredients.
- cut green onions with kitchen scissors.
- grate cheese.