Butternut Apple Crisp
1small butternut squash (about 1 pound)
3medium tart apples [3” diameter], peeled and sliced
2 Tablespoonslemon juice
3⁄4 cuppacked brown sugar
1 Tablespooncorn starch
1 teaspoonground cinnamon
1⁄2 cupall-purpose flour
1⁄2 cupquick-cooking oats
1⁄4 cupbrown sugar, packed
6 Tablespoonscold butter or margarine
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel squash and cut in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Cut squash into thin slices.
- In a large bowl, toss the squash, apples and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt; stir into squash mixture.
- Lightly spray or oil 13” x 9” x 2” baking dish. Transfer squash mixture to baking dish. Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, oats and brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Remove baking dish from oven and sprinkle topping over squash mixture. Return uncovered dish to oven.
- Bake 25 minutes longer or until squash and apples are tender and topping is lightly browned. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Freeze extra lemon juice to use later.
Last updated: 05/08/18