- Fresh mushrooms may be available in bulk or prepackaged for about the same price per pound. Bulk lets you select the amount and size you need.
- Some wild mushrooms are very toxic. Be sure you eat mushrooms from a reliable source.
- Fresh mushrooms should feel relatively dry and firm. Avoid dark spots.
- The stronger the sweet, earthy scent, the more flavorful the mushrooms. Closed caps have a more delicate flavor while open caps with gills showing are more robust.
- Buy an amount of fresh mushrooms that you can use within a few days.
- Canned and dried mushrooms are good options to store for longer times. Soak dried mushrooms before using.
❁ Mushrooms are a good source of B vitamins, which help the body produce energy from food.