- Berries are in season, and might cost less, from about July to September. Buy extra and freeze for later.
- Choose firm, plump, fullcolored berries. Avoid green berries as well as mushy berries with any mold.
- Packages should be free of liquid. Flip over the package and check the bottom too.
- When fresh berries aren’t in season, buy frozen. They’ll cost less, and will keep for 8 to 12 months.
- Frozen berries work great folded into bread, muffin, or pancake batter.
- Or use them in smoothies, or eat them as a snack.
★ Eating Berries? Fresh or Frozen – the health benefits are the same! Berries provide vitamin C and fiber. They’re also rich in antioxidants, which may protect cells in your body