1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 pinch cloves (optional)
1/2 cup margarine or butter
3 cups sliced apples (about 2 apples, 3-inch diameter, peeled)
2/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup sugar
- Wash hands with soap and water. Gather ingredients and cooking tools.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Mix flour, salt and baking soda together in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves, if desired.
- Cut in margarine or butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is crumbly.
- Spread half of the crumb mixture in the baking pan. Top with apple slices and raisins and sprinkle with sugar. Spread remaining crumb mixture evenly over apples.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Cool and cut into 12 bars.
- Substitute ripe pears for apples
- Serve warm topped with vanilla yogurt