Pasta with Greens and Beans
8 ounces pasta (try penne)
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, minced or 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
10 ounces frozen spinach
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
1 can (15 ounces) white beans, drained and rinsed
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet. Add garlic and cook on low (250 degrees F in an electric skillet) until soft.
- Add spinach, tomatoes with juice, beans, salt and pepper. Once the mixture bubbles, cook uncovered on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add drained pasta and parmesan cheese to spinach mixture. Toss well and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Substitute cleaned and chopped fresh spinach (about 6 cups).
- Try other greens, such as Swiss chard or kale instead of spinach. Be sure to clean greens well and cook them until soft.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.