Cheesy Polenta Pie
½ pound lean ground beef (15% fat)
½ medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 can (15.5 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
1 ½ cups corn (canned and drained, frozen, or fresh cooked)
1 Tablespoon chili powder
½ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder or 4 cloves of garlic, minced
½ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon each salt and pepper
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 ½ cups water
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Brown meat and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees F in an electric skillet). Drain fat (see Notes).
- Add the rest of the filling ingredients.
- Reduce heat to low (250 degrees F in an electric skillet) and cover the pan.
- As the filling heats, mix cornmeal, salt, sugar and 1 teaspoon chili powder with water in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in cheese.
- Spread topping over the filling.
- Cover and cook over low heat, with lid slightly ajar, until topping is set, about 10 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Substitute 1-2 Tablespoons taco seasoning mix for the last 6 ingredients in the filling.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.
- One large ear of corn makes about 1 cup of cut corn.
- Pour fat from cooked meat into a metal container. Let it cool, then dispose of it into a garbage can.