Tasty Hamburger Skillet
- Cook ground beef, onion, and green pepper in large skillet over medium heat (300 degrees in an electric skillet) until hamburger is no longer pink. Drain excess fat from pan.
- Add water, rice, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, pepper, tomatoes with juice, corn, and beans.
- Cook, covered, for about 20 minutes or until rice is soft.
- Remove from stove top, sprinkle with grated cheese, and serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Garnish this dish with a tablespoon of low-fat sour cream.
- Flavor boosters: green chilis, jalepeños, more garlic, and other seasonings.
- Make extra! Leftovers make a great filling for tacos, burritos, filling for stuffed bell peppers, or as a topping for baked potatoes.
- Use whole grains! Use brown rice instead of white rice and increase cooking time to 45 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.