Ham and Vegetable Chowder
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
½ head cabbage, chopped (about 6 cups)
1 large potato, peeled and diced
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) low-sodium chicken broth (see Notes)
2 cans (15 ounces each) cream-style corn
1 cup chopped lean ham (8% fat)
½ teaspoon pepper
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat oil in a 4-quart (or larger) saucepan. Sauté onion, cabbage and potato over medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes. Stir the vegetables often while they cook.
- Add chicken broth, corn, ham and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with cheese.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Broth can be homemade, canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Leave skin on potato for added fiber.
- For a vegetarian soup, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth and beans for the ham.