West African Peanut Soup
2/3 cup diced onion
1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup diced and cooked chicken breast
1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth (see Notes)
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
6 Tablespoons peanut butter
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large pot saute onion in sesame oil until translucent; add garlic and chicken and stir to heat through.
- Add seasonings and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add broth, tomato paste, tomatoes and peanut butter. Stir until well combined.
- Heat over medium heat until hot but not boiling. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- For more peanut flavor, add chopped peanuts.
- To avoid peanuts or peanut butter, try sunflower seeds or sunflower seed butter.