Vegetable and Beef Skillet Meal
- Wash hands with soap and water
- Cook beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees F in an electric skillet) until no longer pink. Drain fat (see Notes).
- Add onion and cook until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add rice, tomatoes, vegetables, water, and spices. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low (250 degrees F in an electric skillet). Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked. Add more water if needed.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle with cheese and cover for 1 to 2 minutes to allow cheese to melt. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try brown rice and simmer for 20 more minutes.
- Try ground turkey or 1 1/2 cups of cooked beans (a 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed) in place of beef.
- For extra flavor, in step 3 add 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 4 cloves of minced garlic.
- No oregano? Try chopped cilantro.
- Pour fat from cooked meat into a metal container. Let it cool, then dispose of it in a garbage can.