- Brown meat and onions in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 F degrees in an electric skillet). Drain fat (see Notes).
- Add undrained beans, tomatoes with liquid and chili powder.
- Reduce heat to low (250 F degrees in an electric skillet), cover and cook for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Serve with shredded cabbage, low fat sour cream, cilantro or grated cheese.
- Add other vegetables such as bell peppers, carrots, celery, and corn, if desired.
- Add dried cumin, oregano or red pepper flakes in Step 2 for extra flavor!
- Try adding cilantro on top for more flavor.
- Pour fat from cooked meat into a metal container. Let it cool, then dispose of it in a garbage can.