½ cup whole-wheat flour
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
2 Tablespoons molasses
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup low-fat buttermilk (see Notes)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In another bowl, stir together egg, molasses, oil and buttermilk.
- Pour milk mixture into dry ingredients; stir together lightly.
- Lightly grease a large skillet or griddle and heat over medium-high heat (350 degrees F in an electric skillet). For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot griddle.
- Cook until pancakes are puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- No pumpkin pie spice? Use 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon dry ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon cloves or nutmeg.
- No buttermilk? Place 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar in measuring cup and fill to the 1 cup line with milk. Stir and let set to thicken slightly.
- To see if skillet is hot enough, sprinkle with a few drops of water. If drops skitter around, heat is just right.
- Top with applesauce, fresh fruit or yogurt.