2 cans (15 ounces each) black-eyed peas or black beans, drained and rinsed (try a mix or other types)
1 ½ cups corn (fresh, frozen, or canned, drained and rinsed)
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 bunch green onions (about 5 green onions), chopped
3 medium tomatoes, diced
1 avocado, chopped (optional)
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons vinegar or lime juice
½ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large bowl, combine all the veggies.
- In a small bowl, mix together oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Pour oil mixture over veggies and toss lightly.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Use as a filling for tacos, burritos or wraps, on a burger, over a baked potato, or as a snack with tortilla chips.
- Try adding other vegetables such as sweet or hot peppers, cucumber or zucchini.
- Freeze extra lime juice to use later.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.
- Try adding cilantro on top for more flavor.