Chicken Soup with Tortilla
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, add oil and sauté onion until softened. Stir in garlic and cumin.
- Add beans, tomatoes and broth. Heat to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Stir in tomato sauce, chiles, oregano and chicken. Simmer 15 minutes.
- When ready to serve, stir in cilantro and 1 cup cheese until melted. Serve tortilla strips on the side as soup toppings.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Broth can be made at home or purchased in a can or box or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- To make tortilla strips, stack tortillas and cut in half. Cut each half-stack into thin strips. Spread strips on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F, tossing frequently, for 15 minutes or until crispy and starting to lightly brown.