1 ½ to 2 cups water (more water for softer grains)
1 cup buckwheat (often called groats)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add buckwheat and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pan and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes. Use less time to keep grains separate. Use more time for creamier grains.
- Turn off heat and drain extra liquid or let sit for 5 minutes to soak up extra liquid.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- For more flavor, cook with broth or milk instead of water.
- Topping ideas: fresh, frozen or dried fruit; milk or yogurt; chopped nuts or seeds; cinnamon or other spices. Savory toppings include chopped vegetables and grated cheese.
- Add to soups, grain bowls or grain salads.