- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour (whole-wheat or all-purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup 1% or skim milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted margarine or butter
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8x8-inch square or 9-inch round baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
- In another bowl, mix together milk, eggs and oil.
- Add liquids to dry ingredients and stir until combined, but do not overmix.
- Pour batter into baking dish. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, until top is lightly browned and sides have pulled away from pan.
- Serve warm. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Enjoy with Food Hero Succotash or any soup, stew or chili.
- Add-in ideas: 1/2 cup grated cheese (any type), 1 cup corn (any type), 1 to 3 teaspoons dried herbs or spice (rosemary, sage, thyme, basil, Soulful Seasoning), 2 cloves minced garlic, 1/4 cup canned green chiles, 1/2 cup grated apple or carrot, 1/2 cup blueberries, zest of 1 lemon.
- Try making cornbread muffins! Divide batter into 12 muffin cups. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Extras are easy to freeze.