Green Beans with Onions and Almonds
1 Tablespoon margarine or butter
1 small onion (1/2 cup chopped or sliced)
¼ cup chopped, sliced or slivered almonds
2 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons orange juice (juice from 1/4 orange)
1 Tablespoon prepared mustard
4 cups green beans, fresh cooked, frozen, or canned, drained and rinsed
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Melt margarine or butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and almonds and cook until onions are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, orange juice and mustard. Stir into onion mixture.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes, until sauce begins to thicken. Stir in green beans and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until heated through.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- 4 cups of green beans is about 1 pound fresh OR 16 ounces frozen OR 2 cans (15 ounces each)
- To cook fresh green beans:
Wash and trim green beans. Cut or snap into desired length. Place in a small saucepan and fill with enough water to cover beans. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook until crisp-tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Drain beans and set aside.
- For extra flavor, add ¼ cup dried cranberries to the skillet along with the green beans.