Mashed Parsnips and Potatoes
½ pound parsnips
1 pound potatoes
1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt or milk
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon margarine or butter
- Wash hands with soap and water. Gather ingredients and cooking tools.
- Scrub parsnips and potatoes with a clean vegetable brush under running water and peel if needed.
- Cut the vegetables into pieces. Aim for similar sizes.
- In a medium saucepan, cover the vegetables pieces with cold water. Bring the water to a boil and simmer until vegetables are soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the vegetables and mash. Stir in yogurt or milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder and margarine or butter. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- No plain yogurt? Use low-fat sour cream or buttermilk.
- Try other seasonings such as parsley, thyme or nutmeg.