Print Recipe Color
Barley Summer Salad
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Place barley and water in a 2 or 3 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and cook until barley is tender, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Rinse cooked barley briefly in cold water. Drain.
- Add remaining ingredients. Toss well.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Substitute different fruits and vegetables in season.
- Add nuts or seeds for added protein.
- Pearl barley is high in fiber but it is not a whole grain. If using whole grain barley (also called hulled barley), add 20 to 30 minutes to the cooking time.
- If you have barley that is already cooked, measure about 3 1/2 cups into a large bowl and begin at step 4.