Print Recipe Color
1 pound potatoes, skins on
2 teaspoons vegetable oil or cooking spray
8 ounces lean ground turkey (15% fat or less)
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 medium tomato, diced
¾ cup peeled and diced cucumber
1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
¾ cup salsa (try Food Hero's Salsa Roja or Salsa Verde)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Slice potatoes into small circles about 1/4 inch thick.
- Lightly coat the potato slices with oil (or spray for 3 seconds with cooking spray).
- Arrange slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake in the oven at 450 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes, depending on desired darkness.
- Meanwhile, add ground turkey and chili powder to a skillet. Cook, stirring over medium heat (300 degrees F in an electric skillet) for 8 to10 minutes or until turkey browns.
- Remove potatoes from the oven.
- Transfer baked potatoes to an oven-safe dish. Top with turkey and sprinkle with cheese. Put back in the oven to melt the cheese, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, cilantro and salsa.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- No ground turkey? Use beans, scrambled tofu or any ground meat or poultry.
- Try other toppings, such as guacamole or reduced-fat sour cream or plain yogurt.
- Try using Food Hero salsa recipes provided by the Latinx workgroup: Salsa Roja and Salsa Verde.