Print Recipe Color
Superhero Shepherd's Pie
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and diced
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup 1% or nonfat milk
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 pound lean ground beef (15% fat)
1 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
3 Tablespoons flour
4 cups frozen mixed vegetables
1 cup low-sodium broth (any type)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Put diced potatoes in saucepan; add enough water to barely cover. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes or until soft.
- Drain potatoes and mash. Stir in milk, cheese, salt and pepper. Set mixture aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brown meat in a large skillet. Add onion powder, if desired. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring all the time.
- Add vegetables and broth. Stir until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon vegetable mixture into an 8x8-inch square baking dish. Spread potato mixture over the top.
- Bake until hot and bubbly, about 25 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- For extra flavor, add diced onion and garlic to meat when browning.
- Try any mix of frozen, cooked or canned and drained vegetables you have on hand.
- Try other seasonings such as garlic powder, thyme, oregano or cilantro.
- Broth can be homemade, canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.