Print Recipe Color
Superhero Shepherd's Pie
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and diced
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup 1% or nonfat milk
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 pound lean ground beef (15% fat)
1 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
3 Tablespoons flour
4 cups frozen mixed vegetables
1 cup low-sodium broth (any type)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Put diced potatoes in saucepan; add enough water to barely cover. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes or until soft.
- Drain potatoes and mash. Stir in milk, cheese, salt and pepper; set mixture aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brown meat in a large skillet. Add onion powder, if using. Stir in flour, and cook for 1 minute, stirring all the time.
- Add vegetables, bouillon and water. Cook 5 minutes until bubbly.
- Spoon vegetable mixture into an 8x8-inch square baking dish. Spread potato mixture over vegetable and meat mixture.
- Bake 25 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- For extra veggies and flavor, add diced onion and garlic to meat when browning.
- Try any mix of frozen, cooked or canned and drained vegetables you have on hand.
- Try other seasonings such as garlic powder, thyme or oregano.
- No thyme or oregano? Try chopped cilantro.
- No broth? Use 1 teaspoon or cube bouillon mixed into 1 cup water.