Print Recipe Color
Beef Barley Soup
1 pound lean ground beef (15% fat or less)
1 large carrot, diced (about 1 cup)
1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
2 stalks celery, diced (about 1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
8 cups low-sodium beef broth
1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes with juice
1 cup pearl barley (see Notes)
½ teaspoon pepper
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In large sauce pot, cook ground beef over medium heat. Drain fat (see Notes).
- Add carrot, onion, celery and garlic; stir often and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes with juice, barley and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 45 to 60 minutes or until barley is as tender as you like it.
- Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Pour fat from cooked meat into a metal container. Let it cool, then dispose of it in a garbage can.
- No broth? Use 8 teaspoons low-sodium bouillon and 8 cups of water instead.
- Add 1 cup sliced mushrooms with tomatoes.
- Add 1 cup chopped kale or other greens with tomatoes.
- Pearl barley is high in fiber but is not a whole grain. If using whole grain barley (also called hulled barley), it may take longer for the barley to soften.
- Try adding cilantro on top for more flavor.