Print Recipe Color
Fiesta Barley Salad
1 cup pearl barley (see Notes)
3 cups water
¼ cup raisins, or other dried fruit
1 cup frozen peas, or other vegetables (fresh, frozen or canned and drained)
3 cups chopped lettuce
1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
½ cup sliced green onion (try any type of onion)
1 Tablespoon vinegar (rice vinegar or any others)
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Place barley and water in a 2 to 3 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and simmer until barley is tender, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Rinse cooked barley in cold water for a short time. Drain and put into a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try substituting different fruits and vegetables.
- Pearl barley is high in fiber but is not a whole grain. If using whole grain barley (also called hulled barley), add 20 to 30 minutes to the cooking time.
- If you have barley that is already cooked, measure about 3 1/2 cups into a bowl and continue with step 3.