Print Recipe Color
Mix and Match Grain Bowl
- (see Notes for ingredient ideas)
- 2 cups cooked grains
- 2 cups chopped vegetables (raw or cooked any way you choose)
- 12 ounces cooked protein, cut bite-sized (about 2 cups)
- ¼ cup topping
- ¼ to ½ cup sauce or dressing
- Wash hands with soap and water. Gather ingredients and 4 bowls.
- Spoon about ½ cup of the grain into each bowl.
- Arrange ¼ of the vegetables and protein on top of or around the grains in each bowl.
- Drizzle 1 to 2 Tablespoons of the dressing over each bowl.
- Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon of topping over the top.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Protein – try cooked chicken, beef, pork, seafood, tofu, tempeh, beans, lentils or eggs
Vegetables – use any mixture of fresh, frozen or canned
Grains – try whole grains such as brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat or oats
Topping – try something crunchy or chewy like nuts, seeds, raw or pickled vegetables, microgreens or fresh or dried fruit
Sauce or dressing – use a prepared dressing or salsa, or try one of these Food Hero recipes:
- Oil and vinegar dressing from Food Hero Plant Part Salad or Spring Green Salad
- Orange ginger dressing from Food Hero Carrot Ginger Salad
- Food Hero Cucumber Yogurt Dip, Lemony Garbanzo Bean Dip, Hummus, Ranch Dressing or Peanut Sauce
- Food Hero Salsa Roja, Salsa Verde or Pico de Gallo and avocado (slice, dice or mash)