Print Recipe Color
Chicken Soup with Tortilla
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 can (15 ounces) navy beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (see Notes)
1 cup tomato sauce
2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles
2 teaspoons oregano
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup shredded cheese
10 corn tortillas
- Wash hands with soap and water
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, add oil and sauté onion until softened. Stir in garlic and cumin.
- Add beans, tomatoes and broth. Heat to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Stir in tomato sauce, chiles, oregano and chicken. Simmer 15 minutes.
- When ready to serve, stir in cilantro and 1 cup cheese until melted. Serve tortilla strips on the side as soup toppings.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Broth can be made at home, purchased in a can or box, or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.
- To make tortilla strips, stack tortillas and cut in half. Cut each half-stack into thin strips. Spread strips on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F, tossing frequently, for 15 minutes or until crispy and starting to lightly brown.