Print Recipe Color
1 pound tomatillos, husks removed
5 serrano peppers (use 1/2 bell pepper for mild salsa)
1/4 medium onion, cut in big chunks
2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Scrub tomatillos under running water with a clean vegetable brush.
- Place the vegetables and garlic on a dry skillet. Grill on medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes. Move around a few times to brown all edges.
- Remove peel from garlic. Add garlic, vegetables, salt and pepper to a blender. Pulse 4 to 5 times to a thickness you like.
- Move salsa to a bowl. Stir in cilantro and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- To cook tomatillos, you must first remove the dry skin that surrounds them. You have to rinse them well because they tend to be sticky.
- No serrano peppers? Try jalapeño peppers or other hot peppers.
- The spiciness of peppers can vary depending on the growing conditions. Peppers usually have a higher level of heat during hot summer months.
- No blender? Use a knife or grind with a stone, mortar or molcajete.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.