|Prep time: 5 minutes|
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Mix well.
3. Add the cherries and mix lightly.
4. In a small bowl, combine the melted margarine or butter, buttermilk and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and mix gently.
5. Spoon the dough into 10 equal mounds on a greased baking sheet. Bake until well browned, 18 to 20 minutes.
6. Serve hot or at room temperature. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 or 3 days.