|Prep time: 15 minutes||Cooking time: 1 hour||Total time: 1 1⁄4 hours|
1 cup carrots, sliced or grated
2 cups dry split peas (yellow or green)
7 cups broth (any flavor)
1. In a large saucepan, sauté carrots, onion and celery in oil until just beginning to brown.
2. Add split peas and broth. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat to low.
3. Simmer until peas are as soft as you like, 45 to 60 minutes or longer.
4. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers within 2 hours.
- Make broth by adding 1 teaspoon or cube of bouillon (any flavor) for each cup of water.
- Ham: Use a ham bone or ham hock with the broth or water. Add 1 cup of chopped ham and a dash of ground cloves to the soup.
- Curry: Add 1 Tablespoon curry powder and ½ teaspoon each garlic powder, cumin, and turmeric. Taste and adjust seasonings as you like.
Tab 5 Content:
Our Split Peas Magazine features this recipe:
Food Hero Monthly Recipe: