|Prep time: 10 minutes||Cooking time: 45 minutes||Total time: 55 minutes|
8 cups bread cubes; try whole grain bread
2 cups fruit, sliced or chopped- fresh, frozen or canned
1⁄4 cup margarine or butter, softened
- Lightly oil or spray an 8" x 8" baking dish or 2-quart casserole. Add bread cubes.
- In a medium bowl, blend eggs, milk, vanilla, and sugar. Pour over bread cubes. Stir gently to wet all bread with egg mixture. Top with fruit.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until all liquid is absorbed (30 mins), or as long as overnight.
- Just before baking, remove casserole from refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the topping: In a small bowl, combine the softened margarine, sugar, and flour until crumbly.
- Remove plastic wrap and sprinkle topping over fruit. Bake until completely set, and starting to brown, (160 degrees in the center), about 40-60 minutes. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Tab 1 Content (Tips or Involve Kids):
Tab 4 Content:
Depending on their skills, show kids how to:
- Wash and dry fresh fruit
- Measure dry ingredients
- Crack and beat eggs
- Sprinkle topping onto fruit
Tab 5 Content:
Our Eggs Magazine features this recipe: