|Prep time: 10 minutes||Cooking time: 1 1⁄2 hours||Total time: 1 2⁄3 hours|
1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 can (15 ounces) stewed, diced tomatoes
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth (see notes)
- Heat oil in large soup pan over medium-high heat. Cook garlic and onion until they are golden brown, about 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower the heat so the mixture is at a light simmer. Place a lid on the pan.
- Cook until the barley and lentils are tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve hot in a soup bowl.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon
- Use any fresh, frozen, or canned vegetables you have on hand.
- sliced apple
- a glass of low-fat milk
Tab 1 Content (Tips or Involve Kids):
Tab 2 Content (Recipe Categories):
Food Hero Monthly Recipe: