- Keep ripe whole tomatoes at room temperature in a single layer in an open container; avoid direct sunlight. Try to use within 5 days. Short refridgerator storage (3 days) can help delay softening but may also reduce flavor.
- Refridgerate cut, cooked, or open canned tomatoes in a covered container. Use within 2 days.
- Ripen tomatoes in a closed paper bag or plastic bag with holes. Hold at room temperature. Check daily.
- Store unopened canned tomatoes in a cool, dry place and use within 8 to 12 months for best quality.
- Freeze extra tomatoes:
1. Wash tomatoes and remove the stem. Leave whole or chop.
2. Freeze in a tightly closed container or plastic bag. Label with the date.
3.Best when used in cooked dishes within 8 months.