■ Wash spinach just before using. Storing wet spinach can speed spoilage.
1. Fill a bowl with cold water and swish loose leaves around.
2. Let leaves sit in the water to allow dirt to settle.
3. Lift leaves from water. Drain and rinse bowl.
4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 until there is no grit on the bottom of the bowl.
5. Pat leaves dry if needed.
■ Keep fresh spinach in open plastic bags in the refrigerator vegetable drawer. Plan to use within 5 days. Pre-washed spinach can be stored for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
■ Spinach must be blanched (cooked briefly) before freezing for best quality.
■ Use frozen spinach within 10 to 12 months.