For an extra-quick crust: use French bread, tortillas, pita or flat bread, English muffins or pre-baked crusts.
For a dough crust:
- Buy it pre-made—look in the grocery refrigerated case for dough in a bag or can. Check the “use by” date for best results.
- Buy a dry mix—it will keep longer. Check the “use by” date for best results.
- Make your own—yeast or no yeast. This might cost the least! Most recipes use simple ingredients you may already have at home.
- Try our No-Yeast Pizza Crust.
Shape the dough:
- Roll or press the dough into a flat shape. The more even it is in thickness, the more evenly it will bake.
- Any shape will do! Try a heart or other fun shapes.
- Make small individual shapes so each person can choose their own toppings.
Tomato-based sauces add a vegetable. They may be lower in calories, added sugars and salt than other options.
- Use a purchased sauce or make your own, or use sliced tomatoes.
- Make your own sauce with our recipe for Quick No-cook Pizza Sauce.
- Veggies and fruit – choose fresh, cooked, canned or dried.
- Cheese – grate the cheese and sprinkle lightly. Try lowfat cheeses like part-skim mozzarella.
- Protein (optional) – spread it out and keep it lean.
- Try our Fresh Veggie Pizza