Here’s what the label can tell you:
- Light tuna – tan to tan-pink flesh. Has a softer texture and stronger flavor than albacore tuna.
- White or albacore tuna – white to light pink flesh. Has a firm texture and mild flavor.
- Solid – large, whole pieces of fish.
- Chunk – smaller pieces of fish. Might look shredded. Usually costs the least. Water pack – water or broth added to the can for processing. Fewer calories even when drained. Pouches contain less added liquid than cans.
- Oil pack – vegetable oil or canola oil added to the can for processing. More calories even when drained. Some omega-3 fats may be lost when drained. Pouches contain less added liquid than cans.