- Choose turnips that are smooth skinned without cuts or soft spots. They should be firm and heavy for their size.
- Turnips are sweetest and have the best texture when they are small to medium sized (2 to 3 inches across). As turnips age the flavor gets spicier or bitter and the texture becomes tough and woody.
- If greens are still attached, they should be deep green and crisp – not yellowed or wilted.
- Fresh turnips are available year round but peak season is October through March.
- Turnips are sometimes available frozen.
- Turnip Math 1 pound = 2 to 3 medium turnips = 3 cups diced or mashed 6 to 7 cups raw greens = 1 cup cooked
❁ Eat the roots and the leaves to get more nutrients like vitamins A and C.