Store Well, Waste Less
- Keep ripe whole tomatoes at room temperature in a single layer in an open container; avoid direct sunlight. Try to use within 5 days. Short refrigerator storage (3 days) can help delay softening but may also reduce flavor.
- Refrigerate cut or cooked tomatoes in a sealed container and use within 2 days.
- Ripen under-ripe or green tomatoes in a container or bag at room temperature. Check daily.
- Store canned tomatoes in a cool, dry place and use within 8 to 12 months for best quality.
- Freeze extra tomatoes:
- Wash tomatoes, remove the stem, and leave whole, slice or chop.
- Store in a tightly closed container or plastic bag. Label with the date.
- Best when used in cooked dishes within 8 months.
Last updated: 07/12/17