- Although summer squash is usually available year round, July through August is the peak season when summer squash is best quality and lowest price.
- Look for squash that are firm with a thin, bright and glossy skin.
- Avoid squash that have nicks, bruises, soft spots or dents.
- For best flavor and smallest seeds, choose long-type squash that are up to 6 to 8 inches long or flat round types that are about 3 to 4 inches across.
- You can still use larger summer squash - scrape out the seeds and grate the remaining flesh to add to baked goods, pancakes or soups.
- 1 pound of summer squash = about 2 medium squash = about 3 cups of raw slices = 3 cups of raw, grated squash = 1 ½ cups cooked squash.
★ Summer squash is high in vitamin C. Eating the skin of summer squash provides the most nutrients.