Store Well, Waste Less
- Wash spinach just before using. Storing wet spinach can speed spoilage.
- Fill a bowl with cold water and swish loose leaves around.
- Let leaves sit in the water to allow dirt to settle.
- Lift leaves from water. Drain and rinse bowl.
- Repeat steps 1 through 3 until there is no grit on the bottom of the bowl.
- Pat leaves dry if needed.
- Keep fresh spinach in open plastic bags in the refrigerator vegetable drawer. Plan to use within 5 days. Pre-washed spinach can be stored for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
- Spinach must be blanched (cooked briefly) before freezing for best quality.
- Use frozen spinach within 10 to 12 months.
Last updated: 01/06/17