- Look for bright green, crisp, whole leaves. Bunches should have a small piece of root holding them together.
- Spinach by the bunch may cost less but buying pre-washed spinach may save you time when washing and preparing it.
- Check the 'Best if used by' date on packaged spinach.
- Spinach may cost less when it is in season (early spring through fall).
- Frozen spinach can be found year-round and may be a cheaper choice than fresh.
- 1 pound fresh spinach = 10-12 cups raw = 1 cup cooked 10 ounce package frozen = 2 ½ cups frozen = 1 ½ cups cooked.
★ Spinach is high in vitamins A & C, iron, and folate; it’s also an excellent source of fiber.