- Choose fresh green beans with a bright green color and firm texture; they should snap easily when bent. Avoid beans with brown spots or bruises.
- Beans should be mostly smooth on the surface. Large bumps may mean that the bean is more mature and less tender to eat.
- You can use fresh, frozen or canned green beans in most recipes. Choose what is cheapest.
- If larger bags of frozen green beans are cheaper per ounce, use what you need then press out the air and reseal the bag carefully. Return to the freezer immediately.
- 1 pound fresh green beans = about 3 cups when cut or 2 cups cooked
- Green beans are also known as string beans or snap beans.
❁ Green beans are a good source of vitamin K and vitamin C.