Wash, peel, and cut carrots into slices, sticks or other shapes. Try for pieces that are the same size. No need to peel or cut baby carrots.
- Bring about an inch of water to boil in a saucepan with a lid.
- Add carrots and cover with a lid.
- Continue to boil until carrots are as soft as you like. Test by piercing with a fork.
- Set steamer basket in saucepan with water to just under the basket. Bring the water to a boil.
- Add carrots and cover with a lid. Steam until carrots are as soft as you like.
- Place carrots in a microwave-safe container. Add about 2 Tablespoons of water for every 3 cups of carrots.
- Cover container with microwave-safe plastic or lid, leaving a corner open to vent steam.
- Cook on high until carrots are as soft as you like. Time will depend on size of pieces and total amount of carrots.